Please choose a Loop subcategory by clicking on a loop type. These are the four main loop detectors & sensors that we specialise in.
All Inductive Loop installation work is carried out by our fully qualified engineering operatives. Each operative is trained to the highest industry standard and works to full MCH1540 guidelines.
High quality, industry certified materials are used for each installation; oxidized bitumen, epoxy resin and TR2029-specified induction loop cable. Each site installed is fully tested for inductance and continuity and working fully to specification. The test results are then recorded and issued on an MCH1540 Test Sheet.
Motorway Midas Loop – MIDAS (Motorway Incident Detection and Automatic Signalling) detector loops are placed in every trafficked lane of a motorway and spaced every 500 metres.
Loop detectors collect real-time traffic data such as vehicle count, speed and traffic volume. This is analysed by the roadside controllers and appropriate messages displayed on the VMS signs.
Traffic Counting Systems – One of the cornerstones of Automatic Counting System success is the ability to automate all counting irrespective of distance, location and environment.
The remote electronic counting system records automatically without human intervention, monitoring 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year.
Traffic Signal Loop – Traffic Signals mainly operate with loop based approach detection systems, accurately detecting peak traffic points throughout the day. Each Traffic Signal junction layout specification can vary from site to site, area to area. Loop Detectors commonly used at Traffic Signal intersections are: Stop-line Loops; Call-cancel Loops; Queue Loops; MOVA Loops; Scoot Loops; System D Loops (XYZ); Speed Discrimination / Speed Assessment Loops. The loops are pivotal in the control of congestion.
Piezo Sensors / Speed Detection – Another modern advance in underground detection technology is Speed Monitoring. Installations comprise of Piezo Sensors and loop detectors, precisely spaced within the trafficked lane to monitor vehicle speed. Most commonly used at Roadside Speed Enforcement Cameras & Red Light Violation Cameras.
Weight Detection – To calculate weight detection, weigh in Motion Sensors are placed in the carriageway. These are commonly used to monitor Department of Transport regulations with regards to vehicle loaded weight.
Ice Detection – In order to detect adverse weather, temperature sensors are cored into the carriageway and connected to a weather station. The data collected can then be accessed by relevant parties via remote connection. Detection and warning of adverse weather enables reactive maintenance, whereas prediction enables proactive anti-icing operations in advance of the onset of forecast weather.
Car Park Loops – Loops installed in car parks have numerous uses. The first of which is to detect a vehicles presence and control the barrier arm. Furthermore, the loop counts the number of vehicles entering and exiting the car park thus activating the VMS Car Park Signs showing space availability.
Bicycle Loops – These specialised loops, similarly to the Traffic Signal Loop, are installed on the carriageway for our eco-friendly bicycle lanes.
Traffic Management Services – At Lochwynd we manage the complete Loop Installation including the traffic management solution for our clients, from liaison with the Client, to the Highway Authorities, through to the on-site delivery. All areas of traffic management are available from localised coning to full Motorway Chapter 8.
Furthermore, in our Turn Key packages we offer road space bookings and drawings. The tasks involved include: site survey; traffic management schematic drawings; liaison with Local Authorities, Route Managers and Police; application and receipt of road space bookings; temporary traffic regulations and necessary road closure permits; method statements and risk assessment.
Maintenance and Repairs – All of Lochwynd inductive loop operatives are fully trained to locate and repair faults. Prior to any work taking place, a fully detailed site report shall be issued specifying the maintenance work required. Our operatives will then carry out all essential repairs, before supplying a fully completed test sheet to the client.
Roadside Furniture – Lochwynd supply and install a range of onsite cabinets to suit all the needs of various manufacturers counting equipment. These cabinets can be powered by the mains with an internal distribution board. Alternatively, solar panels can be used as a viable eco-friendly power source.
Lochwynd is the UK & UAE distributor for the Australian born EzyLoop systems. This is a new, innovative, environmentally friendly system designed to be installed prior to final road surfacing, in order to save time and an overall cost reduction to the client.
Sub-Surface EzyLoops are electromagnetic traffic detection devices, that are pre-formed and encapsulated in a protective adhesive membrane so that they may be laid between the base course and final HRA surface as a single unit, at a depth between 40mm and 150mm, during construction or maintenance of the road surface.
EzyLoops incorporate a huge number of benefits for detection loop installation or replacement projects including:
- No detrimental effects to the final HRA pavement integrity resulting in prolonged pavement life; furthermore, there are no reflective cracks or saw-cuts at the surface.
- The self-adhesive thin profile enables their use at 40mm without saw-cutting under thin pavement layers. As a result the loops are traffic friendly during installation.
- The EzyLoop installation process is rapid in comparison with traditional saw-cut loops, taking only a fraction of the time.
- The EzyLoop is versatile and can be made into any shape or size that the client requires.
- The product is delivered onsite in an easy to use roll, with peel-and-stick-down backing.
- Clear visibility of the wire number and placement for on-site inspection and verification of correct configuration prior to reinstatement over the Loop.
- Eco-friendly Inductive Loops Solution.
Flat Mat Surface Loops were designed as a flexible and environmentally friendly alternative to traditional saw-cut or sub-surface Loops. Similarly to the EzyLoop, these electromagnetic vehicle detection loops are pre-formed and encapsulated in a protective mat so that they can be laid, in one single unit, directly onto concrete, asphalt or any other surface that the client requires.
Through eliminating the need to cut into the ground’s surface, Flat Mat Surface Loops remove the possibility of compromising structures such as post-tensioned concrete, furthermore, removing the polluting aspect of traditional saw-cutting slurry.
Flat Mat Surface Loops are designed to withstand the rigors of direct vehicle loading in access control situations. As a result they are ideal for the use in: car parks; security areas; toll booths; concrete surfaces; asphalt surfaces; and even temporary surfaces.
There are numerous benefits to the Flat Mat Surface Loops, these include:
- Eliminating the need to saw-cut into the new road surface.
- Complete flexibility with regards to shape and size to fit the clients’ requirements.
- Equal functionality yet reduced installation time to that offered by traditional saw-cut loops.
- A safe, non-evasive and environmentally friendly installation option.
- Flat Mat Surface Loops installation process is rapid in comparison with traditional saw-cut loops, taking only a fraction of the time.
- No negative effects on post-tensioning within concrete surfaces, which is especially beneficial for the age old car park loop issue.
- Flat Mat Surface Loops are designed to interact with hydraulic bollards/streetscapes for emergency access.
- An ideal option for traffic signal installations on pedestrianized streetscape areas as it does not affect the integrity of the specialised paved area.
The M100 loop stud enables wireless vehicle detection removing the requirement for traditional inductive loops. The loop stud system uses embedded in-road sensors to detect the presence and movement of vehicles.
The eco-friendly system is traffic controller manufacturer independent and suitable for all Urban Traffic Control systems including System D, MOVA, and SCOOT.
- Ease of system installation
- No loop tails or slot cutting required
- Eliminates the need for ducting in many applications
- Retrofitable to existing sites